Unlock stock picks and a broker-level newsfeed that powers Wall Street.
UAW plans unusual strike, sources say. Here are the details

The UAW will run a strategic strike that targets only certain plants across all three Detroit automakers and then escalate actions at more plants in waves as negotiations continue over the days without a contract agreement, multiple sources told the Detroit Free Press on Tuesday.

The strike plan was first rolled out to union leaders late last week and Monday, then to UAW Local leaders on Tuesday evening. The plan could change as the negotiations with the Detroit Three continue down to the wire toward Thursday's 11:59 p.m. contract expiration.

UAW President Shawn Fain walks alongside other union members during a rally and practice picket near the Detroit Assembly Complex - Mack in Detroit on Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2023.
UAW President Shawn Fain walks alongside other union members during a rally and practice picket near the Detroit Assembly Complex - Mack in Detroit on Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2023.

"It’s going to change and evolve as it happens,” said a person familiar with the plans who, like others in this report, asked to not be identified because they are not authorized to speak publicly about the strategy.

UAW President Shawn Fain is expected to outline the strike strategy to the broader union membership and public Wednesday evening during a Facebook Live event.

Fain also is expected to notify the membership Thursday night in the Facebook Live broadcast on which locals are to walk off the job if there appears to be no new contract by then, two people who listened to Tuesday's call told the Free Press.

"They’re calling it a stand-up strike as opposed to the sit-down strike in 1936 and '37. The intent is to strike the three strategically," said a person who listened to the call with UAW leaders. The person asked to not be named because they are not authorized to speak publicly. "It will turbo charge the leverage for our bargaining team because it’ll keep the companies guessing. They won’t know who we’re going to go after or when.”

All UAW locals across the three Detroit carmakers are being told to have members ready to walk out in the event their plant is ordered on strike. There will be short lead times given to members at targeted plants. The first wave of plants to walk out is expected to do so shortly after the contract expires, if there is no agreement. Fain has been firm about not extending the contract.

The Free Press is not publishing the names of the plants earmarked for the first wave because they are highly subject to change, according to sources.

But several union leaders told the Free Press a strike appears likely. One UAW source familiar with the issues put the odds of a strike against one of the automakers, Stellantis, at 50/50, declining to discuss negotiations at the other automakers.

When asked by the Free Press previously about a strike scenario, Fain said the UAW does not discuss strike strategy.

A strategic strike could be very effective, Harley Shaiken, professor emeritus and labor expert at the University of California, Berkeley, said.