Tesla CEO Elon Musk defends SolarCity purchase against conflict of interest allegations

In This Article:

Elon Musk was quietly whisked into the New Castle County Courthouse in Delaware on Monday morning, evading a gaggle of press anxiously awaiting his arrival in connection with a lawsuit over Tesla's 2016 acquisition of a solar energy generation company.

What was lacking in any grand entrance, however, was made up for inside the seventh-floor courtroom, where the Tesla CEO sparred with the lead attorney in the shareholder lawsuit for much of the day.

The suit claims that Tesla's purchase of SolarCity was rife with conflicts of interest and was a bailout of the faltering company. It also argues the acquisition failed to produce the profits Musk had promised.

At the time of the all-stock purchase, estimated at about $2.6 billion, Musk was SolarCity’s largest stakeholder and its chairman. His cousins Lyndon and Peter Rive had founded SolarCity in mid-2006 — a connection plaintiffs call a clear conflict of interest.

Elon Musk walks from the justice center in Wilmington, Del., Monday, July 12, 2021. Musk took to a witness stand Monday to defend his company's 2016 acquisition of a troubled company called SolarCity against a shareholder lawsuit that claims he's to blame for a deal that was rife with conflicts of interest and never delivered the profits he had promised.
Elon Musk walks from the justice center in Wilmington, Del., Monday, July 12, 2021. Musk took to a witness stand Monday to defend his company's 2016 acquisition of a troubled company called SolarCity against a shareholder lawsuit that claims he's to blame for a deal that was rife with conflicts of interest and never delivered the profits he had promised.

Stockholders initially filed several suits over the deal, but they were later consolidated into what is being argued in the 10-day trial. Last August, a judge approved a $60 million settlement that resolved claims made against all the directors on Tesla’s board except Musk without any admission of fault.

That left Musk, who refused to settle, as the sole remaining defendant. This trial had been scheduled for March of last year but was postponed because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sitting on the witness stand in a black suit, white dress shirt and black tie Monday morning, Musk demurely defended the purchase, telling his attorney, Evan Chesler, it had always been his intention to do more than produce electric vehicles.

In a 2006 document, the "Tesla Masterplan," Musk wrote that he founded the company to "expedite the move from a mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy towards a solar-electric economy."

Cheaper cars harder to find: A vehicle for less than $10,000 is rarer as prices of new and used cars jump

Self-driving: Tesla self-driving software update begins rollout though company says to use with caution

To reach that, Musk testified Monday, there need to be "three fundamental pillars" in place: energy generation from solar, wind, nuclear or other non-fossil fuel sources; energy storage; and energy consumption, i.e., by electric vehicles.

"This is essential for humanity to have a good future," Musk said. "We'd (eventually) run out of oil and civilization would collapse."

By 2016, the year the acquisition was finalized, Tesla already offered two of those three pillars.