Unlock stock picks and a broker-level newsfeed that powers Wall Street.
Tencent restructures its news team as online censorship and competition with short video outfits such as Douyin grows in China

In This Article:

Tencent Holdings, China's most valuable tech company, reshuffled its news service operation this week, changing the unit's head and removing a handful of veteran editorial staff from their roles amid a tougher regulatory environment and increased competition.

In an internal notice issued on Monday, Tencent announced it had appointed He Yijin, a video product expert, as the new head of Tencent News and editor-in-chief of the company's news portal, according to people briefed on the restructuring, who declined to be identified as they are not authorised to talk with media.

He replaced Wanngg Shimu, a music product manager who took over Tencent News last Auguist from Chen Juhong, a renowned Chinese journalist and a 2003 Nieman Fellow at Harvard University.

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

At least four senior members of the editorial team, including Wang, have been removed from their roles, according to one of the people familiar with the situation.

Wang will transfer to Tencent's platform and content group to lead Huanhe, a non-fungible token (NFT) trading app that was launched last August, the internal notice said.

The news site QQ.com was established as part of Tencent News in 2003. Photo: Screenshot alt=The news site QQ.com was established as part of Tencent News in 2003. Photo: Screenshot>

The recent reshuffle is aimed at "promoting business development in a better way", and the news department remains in normal operation, Tencent News said in a statement on Thursday.

The move follows a disappointing earnings report from the company last week.

The Shenzhen-based internet and gaming giant posted a 30 per cent plunge in advertising revenue from its media operations year-on-year to 2.3 billion yuan (US$341 million) in the first quarter. Ad revenue from social media, including the ubiquitous super app WeChat, fell 15 per cent to 15.7 billion yuan.

The sharp drop comes amid deep changes in how people on the mainland consume news and obtain information.

The rise of Jinri Toutiao, the algorithm-based news aggregator launched by TikTok owner ByteDance, has reduced the demand for editorial staff who are traditionally tasked with determining what content suits readers.

Meanwhile the emergence of short-video apps such as Douyin, the Chinese version of TikTok, as well as content services from players such as microblogging site Weibo and social media platform Xiaohongshu, has drawn attention away from news websites.