Unlock stock picks and a broker-level newsfeed that powers Wall Street.
The Latest: Peace Corps evacuating volunteers, suspends ops

The Latest on the coronavirus pandemic, which has infected more than 169,000 people and killed more than 6,500. The COVID-19 illness causes mild or moderate symptoms but most people, but severe symptoms are more common in the elderly or people with other health conditions. Nearly 77,000 people have recovered from it so far, mostly in China.

___

The Peace Corps is evacuating all of its volunteers and suspending operations in dozens of countries worldwide.

Director Jody Olsen says Sunday's decision comes as "international travel becomes more and more challenging by the day." She said the agency wanted to avoid leaving volunteers stranded in host countries.

Her statement stressed that posts would not close, but didn't provide a timeline for resuming operations.

As of September 2019, the service program run by the U.S. government said it operates in more than 60 countries and has more than 7,300 volunteers and trainees. Volunteers in China and Mongolia have already been evacuated over virus concerns.

Olsen says host country staff will remain in their current roles.

The statement didn't provide details about the evacuations and suspensions, which Olsen called “logistically challenging.”

___

Closures over the new coronavirus are starting to hit the Las Vegas Strip.

MGM Resorts, which lists 13 resorts in Las Vegas, joined the Wynn Las Vegas and Encore in announcing closures Sunday.

Wynn Resorts said the two-week closure starts March 17 at 6 p.m. MGM says its Las Vegas properties will suspend operations by March 17.

The closures hit the same day that Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak announced that all public, private and charter K-12 schools in the state will be closed Monday until at least April 6. He says properties are making individual decisions about whether to close.

As of Saturday, health officials have announced 21 cases of coronavirus in Nevada.

___

Peru's president has declared an emergency and ordered people to stay home, while Honduras is closing its borders and ordering most businesses to close.

Peruvian President Martín Vizcarra stated in a televised address Sunday there is growing risk that all of Peru will be afflicted by the virus, acknowledging that some of those recently diagnosed with coronavirus had not traveled abroad.

The new measures include: closing its borders; suspending rights to free movement; instructing the military and police to ensure public services; and instructing people to work from and remain in their homes.

Peru confirmed its first coronavirus case on March 6 and its caseload has jumped to 71.