Unlock stock picks and a broker-level newsfeed that powers Wall Street.
INSIGHT-Testing royal taboos: inside Thailand's new youth protests

By Panu Wongcha-um and Kay Johnson

BANGKOK, Aug 10 (Reuters) - Over two days of video calls earlier this month, about a dozen students from Thailand’s Kasetsart and Mahanakorn universities debated whether to break a taboo that could land them in jail: openly challenging the country’s powerful monarchy, according to two people on the calls.

Protesters on the streets and online have made a growing number of veiled references to King Maha Vajiralongkorn over the last few months as they push for greater democracy, but nobody had dared make a public call for changes at the palace.

The students discussed on the calls a Harry Potter wizard-themed protest and considered stopping short of open confrontation by only mentioning "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named," a reference to Potter’s archenemy in the J.K. Rowling books, the two participants said.

The argument for a clearer – but riskier – statement won out.

On the evening of Monday, Aug. 3, human rights lawyer Anon Nampa, 35, took the stage at Bangkok's Democracy Monument and called for the palace's powers to be curbed, an extremely rare event.

“No other democratic countries allow the king to have this much power over the military,” he told about 200 protesters, with police standing by as he spoke. “This increases the risk that a monarchy in a democracy could become an absolute monarchy.”

While the country has been roiled by decades of political turmoil, street protesters have not previously sought changes to the monarchy, which the constitution says must be held "in a position of revered worship."

Any form of challenge to the monarchy was extremely rare under Vajiralongkorn's father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who died in 2016 after 70 years on the throne.

Neither Anon nor any of the protesters have been charged with breaking Thailand’s ‘lese majeste’ law, which punishes criticism of the monarchy by up to 15 years in prison.

However, on Friday Aug. 7 police said Anon was taken into custody and charged with several offences relating to a separate protest on July 18, including "raising unrest and disaffection amongst the people,” which carries a maximum seven-year sentence.

Anon has denied all charges, said his lawyer Weeranan Huadsri. He was freed on bail on Saturday. The Royal Palace declined to comment on the protests or the more outspoken calls for royal powers to be curbed. Defence Ministry spokesman Kongcheep Tantrawanit said: “Don't draw the monarchy into conflict, it is not appropriate. The monarchy is a centre of unity for the Thai people.”