Unlock stock picks and a broker-level newsfeed that powers Wall Street.
‘We are on the edge’: The Disney row that threatens to topple traditional television

In This Article:

Mickey Mouse being lassoed illustration
Mickey Mouse being lassoed illustration

As boxing matches go, the bout between America’s “Cable Cowboy” and the House of Mouse is certainly an unusual one.

In one corner stands John Malone’s Charter Communications, one of the biggest cable television and broadband providers in the US.

In the other is Bob Iger, the revered boss of television and film juggernaut Walt Disney.

The two media giants have been locked in a dispute over money, with Disney channels yanked from Charter’s TV platform, Spectrum, as a result.

The blackout has left millions unable to watch the US Open tennis, with even player Daniil Medvedev saying he was forced to watch an illegal stream.

On the face of it, their bust-up is a classic “carriage dispute” over the fees that Charter pays to Disney to carry its channels.

Yet experts say the tussle may have far-reaching consequences for the future of television in the age of streaming platforms such as Netflix.

Most Charter customers first learned of the Disney row on August 31, when channels usually occupied by ESPN, ABC, National Geographic and other Disney brands on their set top boxes suddenly vanished.

In their place was a message reading: “The Walt Disney Company, the owner of this channel, has removed their programming from Spectrum.”

CEO of The Walt Disney Company Bob Iger
Bob Iger returned to the helm at Disney in 2022 to hammer the company's finances back into shape - LOIC VENANCE/AFP via Getty Images

The dispute is preventing nearly 15 million households from watching not just the tennis but also college football and other top fixtures, such as Monday night broadcasts of American football. It risks a backlash against both companies.

“We’ve almost always avoided these kinds of disputes,” said Christopher Winfrey, president of Charter Communications, during a call with analysts and investors last week. “But we had to draw a line in the sand.

“We respect the product that Disney produces, and its management team, but the video ecosystem is broken.”

Charter, which boasts 32 million customers across 41 states, says it was left with no choice but to pull Disney’s channels following lengthy and difficult negotiations with Disney over a new contract.

The company – which counts Liberty Media, Malone’s main business, as its top shareholder – says Disney is demanding more money for its channels but is refusing to give Charter’s customers access to its streaming service, Disney+.

Malone, the billionaire businessman nicknamed the “Cable Cowboy” in the industry, is right to be wary.

The rise of streaming services has led to a surge in so-called “cable cutting”, where US households cancel their expensive cable packages and opt for lower cost streaming instead. The trend threatens the bedrock of his business.

Charter argues its customers are being double-charged for Disney programmes: once as part of access through their cable package, then again if they want to stream them.