Unlock stock picks and a broker-level newsfeed that powers Wall Street.
China-US divide over UN human rights chief's visit to Xinjiang

China and the US are at odds over the UN human rights chief's trip to Xinjiang, with Beijing saying it "achieved positive and practical results" and Washington voicing "deep concern" over China's alleged "efforts to restrict and manipulate" the visit.

"The United States remains concerned about the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet and her team's visit to the People's Republic of China (PRC) and PRC efforts to restrict and manipulate her visit," US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Sunday.

"We are concerned the conditions Beijing authorities imposed on the visit did not enable a complete and independent assessment of the human rights environment in the PRC, including in Xinjiang, where genocide and crimes against humanity are ongoing."

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

Blinken made the assessment as Bachelet wrapped up her six-day trip to China, which included talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping via video link and stops in Kashgar and Urumqi in the far-western region of Xinjiang.

The Chinese government has been accused of forced sterilisation and mass internment of members of the Uygur ethnic group and other Muslim minorities in Xinjiang.

But Beijing has long denied such allegations, saying that internment camps are vocational training centres to tackle radicalisation and terrorism. It also rejected the genocide claims by Washington.

Speaking in Guangzhou on Saturday, the 70-year-old former Chilean president said she visited a prison and one of the centres but was not able to "access the full scale" of these "vocational education and training centres".

"I raised with the government the lack of independent judicial oversight of the operation of the programme ... allegations of the use of force and ill-treatment in institutions, and reports of unduly severe restrictions on legitimate religious practices," Bachelet said.

At the same time, foreign vice-minister Ma Zhaoxu told state media that the two sides "conducted extensive and in-depth exchanges in the spirit of mutual respect and frankness", and Bachelet's visit was an opportunity to "experience a real Xinjiang".

Ma said the accusations over Xinjiang were "lies of the century" and were part of "political plotting" to counter China, saying there had been a "tendency to politicise and instrumentalise multilateral human rights bodies such as the Human Rights Council".