Unlock stock picks and a broker-level newsfeed that powers Wall Street.
China says progress is being made in India border talks, but New Delhi warns of stalemate

China and India are making progress in their border talks and are discussing ways to calm tensions, according to Chinese state media.

At least one side put forward proposals that were discussed during the latest round of military talks last Sunday, Yuyuan Tantian, a social media account affiliated with state broadcaster CCTV reported on Thursday, citing an anonymous source.

For the first time both sides said in a joint statement after the talks over the western sector of the Line of Actual Control, the de facto border, that they had continued discussions in a "constructive and forward-looking manner".

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

But Indian media reports have said there is stalemate between the two sides and that New Delhi was frustrated by China's refusal to discuss a broader disengagement rather than specific flashpoints.

The talks were held four months after the two sides last met - the longest gap so far between the 16 rounds of commander-level talks following a deadly clash in the Galwan Valley in Ladakh in June 2020.

This year relations between the two countries have shown signs of improvement after years of tension following the Galwan clash and an earlier stand-off on the Bhutan border in 2017.

China's foreign minister Wang Yi and his Indian counterpart Subrahmanyam Jaishankar have met twice this year - in March and early this month - prompting Wang to say the relationship had developed "momentum".

Lin Minwang, a professor at Fudan University's Institute of International Studies, said the positive tone in the joint statement showed the two sides "have made progress" in their border talks and were looking at the dispute "from a higher perspective".

He said the two sides have been adjusting their demands, adding: "The so-called 'forward-looking' manner in the statement shows that there is a more reasonable expectation from both sides for the revised proposals this time."

India's The Hindu newspaper reported that the two sides were close to an agreement on disengaging along one friction point, commonly known as Hot Springs.

However, it continued that India wanted to agree a comprehensive disengagement, but China's refusal to discuss other areas along the Line of Actual Control, including Demchok and Depsangm, had prevented further progress.