Unlock stock picks and a broker-level newsfeed that powers Wall Street.
UPDATE 6-Thousands flee Karabakh to Armenia, death toll rises in fuel depot blast

*

Dozens killed in fire and blast at fuel depot

*

More than 28,000 Armenians have left Karabakh

*

US says Azerbaijan must protect rights

(Adds new death toll in blast, U.S. statement, Brussels talks, paragraphs 1-4)

By Felix Light and Guy Faulconbridge

NEAR KORNIDZOR, Armenia, Sept 26 (Reuters) - Hungry and exhausted Armenian families jammed roads on Tuesday to flee homes in the defeated breakaway enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh, a departure blighted by an explosion at a fuel depot that killed dozens and injured more than 100.

The crisis prompted the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to announce that Washington would provide $11.5 million in humanitarian assistance.

"We urge continued humanitarian access to Nagorno-Karabakh for all those in need," White House National Security Council spokesperson Adrienne Watson said.

Azerbaijan launched a lightning operation to take over Karabakh last week. A top Azeri official said at talks in Brussels that his country had no intention of taking further action to create a land corridor through Armenia itself.

PEOPLE FLEE IN TRUCKS, TRACTORS, CARS

The Armenians of Karabakh - part of Azerbaijan that had been beyond Baku's control since the 1991 dissolution of the Soviet Union - began fleeing this week after their forces were routed in the operation by Azerbaijan's military.

The Armenian government said more than 28,000 of Karabakh's 120,000 ethnic Armenian residents had already crossed into Armenia. Hundreds of cars and buses crammed with belongings snaked down the mountain road out of Azerbaijan.

Some fled packed into the back of open-topped trucks, others on tractors. Grandmother-of-four Narine Shakaryan arrived in her son-in-law's car with six people packed inside. The 77 km (48-mile) drive had taken 24 hours, she said. They hadn't eaten any food.

"The whole way the children were crying, they were hungry," Shakaryan told Reuters at the border, carrying her three-year old granddaughter, who she said had become ill during the journey. "We left so we would stay alive, not to live."

Fuel stations were thronged on the way out of the Karabakh capital, known as Stepanakert by Armenia and Khankendi by Azerbaijan.

Karabakh's ombudsman said the death toll in the explosion and fire at a fuel depot on Monday had risen to 68, with a further 105 people missing and nearly 300 injured. A total of 68 were taken to medical institutions in Armenia.

The authorities have given no explanation for the blast.

USAID head Samantha Power, in the Armenian capital Yerevan, called on Azerbaijan "to maintain the ceasefire and take concrete steps to protect the rights of civilians in Nagorno-Karabakh".